Wednesday 13 January 2010

Summertime

Its a bright and sunny day (over 100 degrees F or 41 C according to my hometown news) which is a pleasant change from the blistering cold that we just left behind over the holidays in the States. We arrived and just missed the snow storms that delayed many a holiday traveler. It wasn't so bad until all the snow melted, it rained and the wind set in decreasing the temperature more and more, at least it felt like it, especially at my parents house situated on a ridge without proper insulation or heat - what are my parents thinking?! On our visit on one of these frozen days we were immediately handed extra wooly layers just to sit in the living room. Ay! Knowing me and my cold bloodedness, this did not suffice, so we made the visit brief.

The Christmas season this year was unnecessarily crazy, as I ended up stressing too much about visiting people and doing things at the best time and place, which didn't really happen so I would end up disappointed and moody rather than making the most of whatever time I was left with. I guess I should have expected that considering the state of mind I have been in for the last few months. I found myself reverting back to old feelings from when I was a teenager, which was something I had thought (hoped) I had grown out of long ago. So much for that idea.

The idea to go home to the states for Christmas was last minute, born out of nostalgia during the Christmas tree shopping expedition one chilly and rainy spring day just after American Thanksgiving. I got all into the Christmas spirit then and realized that he has the time off and I definitely have time off, why not spend Christmas with family? Oh yeah - money for the ticket. We ended up going all in to join in the family festivities that take place every year. My mother loves Christmas and is at her holiday best, which is probably the best time to catch her. We made it just in time for Christmas eve spent with my mom's side of the family. The is when a zoo of cousins, aunts and uncles, and these days the cousins' babies, gather at my Aunt's house for a scrumptious feast of every imaginable meat accompanied by mashed potatoes, of course, and other tasty sides and don't forget my mother's fabulous pashka and kulich - Yum. Usually too many people (getting bigger and multiplying every year), no real chance to connect with one another unfortunately. Its pretty much my one chance to see my family for the next year or so until the next time I fly home.

The feast is followed by Posadas, a reenactment of Mary and Joseph searching for a place to give birth to Jesus. A & E, as the recent newlyweds, got to play Mary and Joseph going from room to room witnessing the younger cousins' crazy antics that push Mary ad Joseph toward taking refuge in the manger. Ian and Joe were the stars with their version of Terminator taking over one room. Definitely don't want to give birth in that room. Little Duncan was pretty damn funny too. With everyone in the living room singing carols before ripping into the presents appear as a sea of bodies, some bigger than others. Its interesting to wonder how other families spend their Christmas Eve. For sure, Richard is overwhelmed by the enormity of my side of the family, and the violent body slamming that takes place when the wrestling ensues. Good thing there's a room big enough to contain all those bodies and boys big enough to take on the gaggles of munchkins ready to pounce.

No comments:

Post a Comment