Tuesday 26 January 2010

Amy's Input into my baking trials

Direct from the Master Baker herself: "There are not many good sugar substitutions in baking, I think I like the agave nectar the best- no strong fake sugar after taste.Nothing beats sugar in browning.  We didnt experiment much in school with different fats, butter is best tasting and what is used almost exclusively in most formulas. Also I have never had much inclination to try other fat subsititutions. Try vegan cookbooks- esp fat substitutions."


Thanks Amers! don't know where I am going to find Agave nectar here, I might have seen some in the fancy health food stores in South Melbourne. And I am an avid believer in butter, real butter with all the fat, but I was trying to look out for those who aren't like me. I'd like to take this opportunity to promote the use of ALL-natural foods (that come from mother nature) and that includes butter. I recently received an email extolling the ridiculous properties of margerine that make it most similar to plastic. No wonder we have cancer and heart disease plaguing the population with all the processed junk that we eat. Animals and insects avoid the stuff and humans should take a lesson from that.


I have always tried to create dishes and baked delights from scratch hoping to achieve some resemblance to my mother's home cooking which is 100 times better than anything I could buy in the store. Recently, with our move back to civilization, I am try to incorporate more seasonal, fresh, organic, locally grown produce and meats (buying from farmers markets and  butchers - St. Kilda Veg Out at the Peanut Farm Reserve on the 1st Saturday, and Gasworks in Albert Park on the 3rd saturday of the month) so that I know  and have confidence in what is in my food. Haven't figured out the cost differential of this behaviour, but I take comfort in promoting a return to healthy living and having respect for the earth and our food producers. 


Amy - Another problem you might be able to help me with: What to do with all the leftover egg yolks after making stuff like angel food cake and meringues that only use up the whites?



3 comments:

  1. My first thought to your left-over egg yolk problem- creme brule or a less sweet alternative a rich quiche. Add a few yolks to the original recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about a flan? How do you make that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genial dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

    ReplyDelete