Monday 27 September 2010

Hardware Societe

Down a little laneway in Melbourne CBD, this little hidden gem of a cafe was a surprisingly delightful treat one Saturday morning. We ventured here after a Saturday morning dentist visit looking for a light and creative brunch meal. I had come once before during the weekday and though R would appreciate the mixed ambiance of modern/french/vintage and we are always suckers for a place that makes their own macaroons. 

I love the mismatched teacups and saucers that they serve their tea in and I deliberately ordered tea to experience the tea service. I especially love the little doughnut that they serve with every cuppa. I could eat a whole plate of those, but I guess the whole charm is that your taste buds are teased with that little burst of fried sugary dough and you don't have to feel guilty about indulging in a whole one. So you are left with room for another tasty treat. For breakfast I opted for the simple scrambled eggs which were perfect, creammy, not overdone or too runny. And R got the special duck omelet. I loved the simplicity, yet gourmet aspect of the whole meal, and of the place. We walked away with two of the macaroons, which we've rated the best in town so far. 

Its a tiny place, and increasing in popularity so be prepared to get cosy with the other patrons and maybe wait for a table. We sat outside, hanging out into the sidewalk, which isn't so picturesque (or tranquil), makes for a very urban experience, which isn't terrible. I would also say, its nice to stop into during the week for a quick gourmet bite, note - the menu is different on Saturdays. Not open on Sundays.

The Hardware Societe


No comments:

Post a Comment