Saturday 27 February 2010

Amy help! How do I make milk pie

Oh I wish you were awake right now cause I can't for the life of me remember how to make milk pie like when we were little. It's a rainy, dreary day - my favorite- and I had a hankering for something crunchy and caramely. But settled on trying to recreate this. It's still a bit soupy though after one hour of baking. Are you supposed to add an egg? I rembered the can of evaporated milk (always a staple in house when we were growing up) and sugar inside my rapid pie crust. Was gonna call you or mom but it's 2 am your time so I hope this will suffice.

4 comments:

  1. I think I will have to recomend you talk to Mom about this one. I do not remember making or how to make this pie. Was this the one she mixed directly on the pie crust? I do not even have this recipe. I found one in one of my books, but it uses cream and reduces it, which shouldnt be necessary if it uses eveporated, I think. Sorry I cannot help more. I have to go to work now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rachie, I was talking to Mom today and mentioned your dilema. She said it was flour that you need to add as thickener. Start with sugar and flour in the unbaked pie shell and slowly add the milk. Then add more flour as needed- if you do not think it will thicken add more flour. Mom doesnt measure so she did not mention exact numbers. Also she says she would use cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a bust. The crust not so nice either. Now I know for next time. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, when my mama makes milk pie, she adds a good bit of flour. I still haven't figured out the right mix, but she has said in the past that you want to add enough to feel it slightly thicken. If I were to eyeball it when mom makes it, I'd say maybe a cup?

    ReplyDelete