Thursday 4 March 2010

Fab roast

This is the organic chicken gotten from the Abbottsford Convent Slow Food Market held every 4th Saturday. It was purchased to satisfy a craving for a good ole roast. I stuffed it with bread stuffing made with rye bread, fennel pork sausage (free range pork, also from the market) and sage (dried and fresh from my window sill). I rubbed the bird down with butter as much as possible, sprinkled it with pink Murray River Salt and voila... a roast chicken. Though it looks good, it didn't come out as perfectly as I had hoped, probably cause I tried to whip it up too quickly and got the timing all wrong. I roasted with organic whole carrots (which got a little too mushy, shoulda thrown them in at the last 30 minutes), and brussel sprouts (which I did quickly saute for the last 5 minutes). I am really loving brussel sprouts these days, especially in butter (just little is all thats needed). And I am into organic root vegetables ever since my mother told me how root vegetables are more susceptible to retaining the chemicals used in pesticides and fertilizers - possibly leading to cancers. (is it just me or does everything seem to cause cancer?) I have yet to research this further, but for now I'm going for the organic root veggies as much as possible. 

The best part of this organic chicken is now I have a big pot of Chicken soup. I make it with potatoes, carrots, this time with cauliflower, and I thrown in a big bunch of chopped fresh spinach at the last minute for extra iron. Serve with white rice, Not noodles, because thats how I grew up and because I remember a children's book that drilled the phrase "Chicken soup with Rice" into my head. 
Feeling very domestic

2 comments:

  1. Looks scrumptious. What did you stuff it with? What vegetables did you put around it, I cannot tell what or how many you used?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks wonderful! I'm a big fan of roasted chicken. we tend to get an organic one once a month. But i usually neglect to stuff it. Takes longer to cook, and i'm lazy. But i'm with you 100% about the root veggies and brussel sprouts. We like to put a dab of grey poupon on them with butter, garlic, and pepper and roast them in the oven.

    ReplyDelete