Friday 23 November 2007

Sri Lanka so far

I have pictures to post I promise, I just haven't gotten around to downloading them off of my stupid camera that barely functions. What with this new "job", weekend with the husband, Birthday, Thanksgiving, I am pretty busy and stimulated - I must say.

They are keeping me busy in the office, or rather I am keeping myself busy trying to catch up with the progress so that I know what is going on and how to jump in. So far I am remembering how frustrating it can be to work in a developing country. But last monday was interesting, I found myself sitting in the middle of a military transit camp trying to be as inconspicuous as possible as the single white American woman in the vicinity. I don't think I blended in very well. I remember melting in the car with flies driving me crazy as I waited for the surveying to finish. Now I am stuck back in the office. I think I have the mosquito thing under control - basically slather the repellant on exposed area in the morning, maybe once again in the afternoon and they pretty much leave me alone. No Dengue for me.

Met up with the husband after a 3 week break - the longest we have been apart in a year (sick!). I caught a beast of a bus to Habarana - 3 hours away. They dropped me off on the side of the road next to a sign for Cinnamon Lodge, but I didn't know where I was supposed to go so I called the husband and waited for him to come pick me up in the dark. I hear a clank, clank, clank and down the quiet road what did I see - an elephant walking towards me. A little man was on top and the clanking was the sound of its chains. Later I found out that there are actually wild elephants in the area and should be careful not to encounter one. I could only laugh at the strange sight and wish I had a camera with me then.

No comments:

Post a Comment